Thursday, October 30, 2008

September Maintenance

September 2008
After returning from the August cruise we completely overhauled the fuel system. I removed and cleaned the tank and installed all new lines, fittings, hoses, valves and filters. Everything from the deck fill to the carb is new and spotless. Here I'm using a shop-vac to blow dry the well scrubbed fuel tank.














During the cruise the fresh water cooling pump's impeller blew apart, shedding three of its six vanes. I ended up hauling the engine's water jacket apart to search for them. In the end I only found two and pray that the third is in the bilge. Here's the engine compartment all back together. The new fuel pump had just arrived from Moyer Marine in Maryland.















After sorting out the engine I finally tackeled a long overdue cockpit table project. In the end I'd spent $30 to build a folding table. It's perfect for a meal for two or snacks for six. It also holds the chart booklet and Current Atlas when I'm sailing. Hopefully it will survive the winter.














Here's Kiskadee, ready once more for her next cruise. I recently bought a 1970 Evinrude 4hp outboard to get around the anchorages. At last we can make waves and noise.